The 2014 International Centre for Women Playwrights 50/50 Applause Award.
The nomination period is now closed.
The process of verification will be carried out by a team of volunteers
and an announcement made in due course.
The International Centre for Women Playwrights recognizes those theaters that have successfully created seasons that produce female playwrights at least 50% of the time. This award will be given to theatres internationally who have met the qualifying criteria.
To be eligible for the 2014 International Centre for Women Playwrights 50/50 Applause Award a theatre must meet the following conditions:
- At least 50% of the plays produced during the year must be the work of female playwrights.
- At least 50% of the total number of performances during the season must be the work of female playwrights. (Nominated theatres will be asked to provide this information.)
- All productions between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014 will be included.
Who is NOT eligible?
- Development programs, including workshops, labs, colonies and retreats
- Theaters that only produce women’s work
What is the process?
- Nominations will be open May 1-May 21, 2014 through an online nomination form. ANYONE can nominate a theater.
- The Awards Committee will contact all theaters for further qualifying information. Information will be due August 1, 2014. If a theater does not submit the additional information, they will be disqualified from consideration.
- Winners will be announced in September 2014.
Q: I want to nominate a theater but I’m not sure if their season was 50/50. How do I find out?
A: Look on their website, consult programs you might have saved or contact the theatre directly. Keep in mind we are nominating for the 2013-2014 season.
Q: How do I get information about the award in another language?
A: You can contact Elana Gartner or Kris Bauske, Co-Chairs of the Awards Committee, at email@example.com.
Q: I am the artistic director of a theater. Can I self-nominate?
A: As long as your theater meets the requirements, yes.
Q: What does a theater get if they are awarded the ICWP Applause award?
A: The ability to show your patrons and funding sources that your theatre has been honored by an international group of women playwrights. Your theatre will be highlighted on the ICWP website with the other recipients. Additionally, you will receive an award logo to be used on your website or other marketing materials as you deem appropriate.
Q: One or more of the plays produced in the season has multiple writers. How is this play counted for the percentage?
A: If the first author is a woman, it will count as a female playwright. If the woman is listed second the play will be given half a credit.
Q: Do lyricists count in musicals?
A: No. Just book writers.
Q: A theater did a short festival that focused on women’s plays. How does this work when calculating the percentage?
A: Any short festivals considered to be part of the theater’s regular season will be considered as one play. If 50% of the scripts produced in the short festival were by women, it can count as one play by a female playwright.
Q: Is there a geographical limitation to nominees?
A: No. We are an international organization and we will consider all theater companies throughout the world that meet the qualifying criteria.
Q: Why are women’s theaters not eligible?
A: With this award, we hope to raise awareness with theaters and their patrons about producing women playwrights equally with their male counterparts. Therefore, theaters whose mission it is to produce only women’s work are not eligible as they do not produce men’s work.
If you have further questions, please contact Elana Gartner or Kris Bauske at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See 2013 recipient
See 2012 recipients
To receive information about the Awards generally, please send an email to:
announce-subscribe (at) lists.womenplaywrights.org